Our roots stretch back more than 100 years to a lush forest near Komatsu City in Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan that was once home to a copper mine vital to the surrounding community. The mine’s closure in 1920 could have meant the end for community residents dependent on their related jobs, but instead it was a new beginning.
The owner of the mine and our founder, Meitaro Takeuchi, was an entrepreneur with an extraordinary humanitarian vision, committed to enhancing the community’s quality of life, developing future generations and growing with society. Determined to bring industrial technology to his country, Takeuchi created a new company by nurturing the skills of the people in the local community.
Takeuchi’s vision and strong guiding principles stood the test of time. Throughout the years, Komatsu’s continued investment in core capabilities and strategic acquisitions has connected smart, diverse people and cutting-edge technologies with a shared belief that partnerships are the best way to solve challenges and meet society’s needs.
As the world grows and evolves, the people who power modern society and develop the world’s infrastructure count on partners that they can trust to empower them and create value.
For a century, Komatsu has been by your side with ‘dantotsu’ quality, reliability, insight and support. Through manufacturing and technology innovations, we partner with you to create the solutions needed to achieve a sustainable future where people, businesses and our planet can thrive together.
• Purpose: Creating value through manufacturing and technology innovations to empower a sustainable future where people, businesses and our planet can thrive together
◦ Ambition: With a ‘challenging spirit’ and without fear of failure, we innovate and always aspire to do more
◦ Perseverance: Even when the work is difficult, we remain committed to our promises and reliably carry them through to completion
◦ Collaboration: Creating value comes from teamwork, inclusion, respect, diversity and a win-win approach to all relationships
◦ Authenticity: To earn and maintain trust, we always act with sincerity, integrity and honesty, and we communicate transparently
- • Management principle: our corporate value is the sum of the trust given to us by our stakeholders and society
• Management strategy:
◦ ‘Dantotsu’ (better than the best) value: moving forward together for sustainable growth (Mid-term Management Plan slogan for 2019-2021)
◦ The workplaces of the future are safe, highly productive, smart and clean
◦ In our endeavours, we aspire to balance the growth of our company with the sustainable growth of society
• Corporate social responsibility: our core business embodies CSR
◦ Enhancing quality of life: safety and sustainability through innovative products, services and solutions
- ◦ Developing people: employees, partners and the community
◦ Growing with society: governance, compliance, volunteering and community support
• Founding principles: Global expansion. Quality first. Technological innovation. Employee development.
• The Komatsu Way: The Komatsu Way contains guidelines for maximising our corporate values. The Komatsu Way teaches us:
◦ Komatsu’s strengths
◦ Beliefs supporting strengths
◦ Basic mindsets and perspectives
◦ Behaviour that demonstrates those strengths, beliefs and mindsets in action
• Worldwide Code of Business Conduct:
◦ compliance and ethics (‘compliance’ is always listed first)
◦ compliance, not only with the law, but also with the ethical expectations of society
• Brand positioning:
◦ Partnering for the full equation: People + Product + Technology
◦ Building partnerships, considering the needs of society, customers or other stakeholders first, and then working together to innovate, solve challenges and create value for generations to come
• Brand personality:
◦ Intelligent: a continuous learner and forward thinker, always seeking new ideas and perspectives
◦ Insightful: endeavouring to see beyond the obvious and reveal the hidden
◦ Curious: eager to learn, explore and discover
◦ Purposeful: intentional and deliberate in our actions, moving step-by-step towards our goals
Body and heart
◦ Honest: truthful, with a desired reputation for renouncing wrong-doing and never distorting facts, exaggerating or covering up
◦ Caring: compassionate and considerate of the well-being of all our stakeholders and the planet
◦ Inclusive: broad-minded and welcoming, embracing differences, open to possibilities and ensuring that all voices are heard
◦ Balanced: seeking harmony and common ground, evaluating options and striving to be fair in outcomes
Legs and torso
◦ Structured: Organised and systematic with well-defined processes and intentions
◦ Solid: strong, steady and reliable
◦ Grounded: Calm, confident and likeable, easy to relate to
◦ Dynamic: Evolving, growing and adjusting for what the future holds (think overall growth and maturity… roots, branches, expanding, but staying true to core)
• Brand people (target audience): those who power society and develop our infrastructure count on partners they can trust
• Brand choice drivers: quality, reliability, trust, insights, value, empowerment, sustainability, partnerships
• Brand promise: Creating value together